A healthy cat is a happy cat: Is your cat drinking enough?
Tips and tricks to help your cat drink more.
Everyone naturally wants the very best for their cat. In addition to cuddling and playing with your cat, you are also responsible for the care and health of your beloved four-legged friend. Sometimes health problems are caused by a lack of moisture. Does your cat drink too little? In this article we explain why and how you can get your cat to drink more, for example with a drinking fountain.
- From wild cat to beloved pet.
- Dehydration due to lack of moisture.
- The role of the drinking trough.
- Tips and trick to make your cat drink more.
- Is a drinking fountain suitable for your cat?
It is a common problem in cats: dehydration. Unfortunately, many cats drink less than is healthy for them. This can have several causes. Are you curious about what you can do to make your cat drink more and keep it healthy? Then read on.
From wild cat to beloved pet
Did you know that our house cats are descended from the African wild cat, the Felis silvestris? Hundreds of cat skeletons have been excavated in Egypt, Europe and the Middle East, among others. It is estimated that some 10,000 years ago feral cats were domesticated by farmers to hunt pests on the land. Slowly but surely, the feral cat evolved in the domestic cat (and of course purebred cat) that many of us have as beloved pets today. Since our house cat is descended from the wild cat, it is not surprising that he does not drink much. Wild cats get their moisture directly from their captured prey. The diet of a domestic cat obviously looks a bit different.
A cat's body, like humans, is two thirds water. Cats need a certain amount of moisture to survive and keep their bodies healthy. A domestic cat, of course, has a completely different diet than a wild cat. When you give your cat wet food, she will take part of it out of it. The word says it all, there is no moisture at all. That is why we put a drinking bowl for our animals. Unfortunately, not every cat drinks enough from a normal drinking bowl with dehydration. In addition, cats can concentrate their urine allowing them to survive on less water than other animals. However, this does not mean that it is also healthy. Dehydration can have serious consequences.
Dehydration due to lack of moisture
If your cat is dehydrated, you may only find out when health problems arise. Dehydration can lead to kidney disease or inflammation of the urinary tract or bladder. A ruptured bladder, tumors or bladder stones can also be a result of dehydration. This can lead to life-threatening blockages of the urinary tract, especially in hangovers. Letting your cat drink enough, for example with a drinking fountain, can prevent a lot of suffering.
How do you know if your cat is drinking too little? One of the best and simplest ways to test this is to squeeze your cat's skin and gently pull it up. If the skin does not return to its normal position quickly, your cat is probably dehydrated. Also watch for signs of gasping, depression, loss of appetite, sunken eyes, or dry mouth. An increased heart rate or lethargy can also indicate dehydration.
The role of the drinking trough
If you use bowls as a drinking bowl for your cat, make sure you have high hygiene standards. Water in a container stands still and quickly becomes contaminated by food scraps and other dirt. Keep the water clean by changing it twice a day. You probably also prefer not to drink water that has been in the glass all day long. It is best to change the water every time you feed the cat.
The classic drinking bowl. Not efficient and needs regular changes.
A drinking fountain. Stimulates more drinking and is easier to care for.
Most plastic containers or bowls are not recommended because of the chemicals that can be released into the water and give it an unpleasant smell and taste. This can also be a reason for your cat to drink less. In addition, the chemicals can be toxic to the cat. Drinking bowls made of BPA-free plastic, ceramic, stainless steel or glass are good alternatives.
The drinking surface should be wide enough for the cat to insert its head into without the whiskers hitting the edges. Of course you can also use a drinking fountain to increase the drinking area. This way the whiskers will not get in the way and your cat will get clean and enough water in a simple way to stay healthy. To prevent the container from moving, you can use an anti-slip mat, so the whiskers do not hit the edge unexpectedly during a sturdy thirst quencher.
Tips and tricks to help your cat drink more
- Experiment with a certain taste: Some cats don't find normal water interesting enough to drink enough. Like people, they sometimes want some variety. Add a little tuna, mussel juice, or low-sodium chicken stock (broth without onion or garlic) to their water. This will make your cats go to the water faster to have a drink. Don't put too much into it, it just has to tickle the cat's nose. Also make sure that you always use organic means.
- Vary in feed: Alternate with dry food and wet food. As you can read, cats are used to getting most of their water from their food. You can also add a little water to the canned food. Just do not make it too soupy, this can also bother the cat. If your cat does not feel like drinking from a normal saucer, this is a great solution to let them get more water.
- Separate the drink and food:Cats are very careful about what they drink and eat. Water or food on a bowl can have certain smells or flavors that are not pleasant for your cat. It is smart to place the bowl or water fountain on the other side of the room or in a room other than the food to avoid affecting your cat's eating or drinking habit. By putting it apart you prevent your cat from leaving the water on the left.
- Keep the water fresh: Put a few ice cubes in their water bowl, especially in warm weather, this is recommended. Cats like fresh water and will drink it more often. This tip only has a short-term effect. You can also opt for a drinking fountain for cats. This water bowl provides continuous running water, the cat finds this fresh water ideal. The benefits of this are endless and we'll cover them in a moment.
- Measure the water consumption: You cannot judge the amount of water a cat drinks based on the amount of water you see them drinking. If your cat gets wet food, they will at least already receive extra moisture that way. If they drink, this could just as well be when you're not at home. It is better to fill the drinking fountain or bowl completely to maximum capacity and then see when the fountain or bowl is empty and how much water is left in it.
Is a drinking fountain suitable for your cat?
To ensure your cat drinks more, there is only one tool with guaranteed success. By means of a special drinking fountain for cats, you can be sure that your cat will drink more. Cats love running water and prefer to avoid standing water. A drinking fountain provides your cat with fresh running water. Cats associate running water with safety, hygiene and it is a recognizable sound. Some drinking fountains are equipped with charcoal and foam filters that keep the water free from dust, unpleasant odors and tastes and (cat) hair.
By choosing a drinking fountain for cats, it is considerably easier to stimulate your cats to drink. In addition, you can easily combine a drinking fountain with the tips and tricks we mentioned above. With the drinking fountain, your cat is guaranteed to drink more and you will see that when the cat has become acquainted with the drinking fountain, he will not quickly return to his old drinking bowl. It is the asset for you and your beloved animals.
Healthy since your cat drinks more stimulation and therefore prevents nasty diseases.
Always fresh and clean water. Our drinking fountain has no bacterial growth through sterilization and filtering.
A lot easier to maintain. It is unnecessary to fill the drinking fountain every day.
Interested in a drinking fountain?
With the useful information from this article, you know exactly what to do if you want your cat to drink more. By using a drinking fountain for cats, it is a lot easier to ensure that your cat will drink optimally. With us you are at the right place for a drinking fountain for cats. View the drinking fountain below that matches your wishes and all needs for good health and stimulation of your cats. Getting a cat to drink more is probably easier than you think.
Petoneer Ultra - Smart Drinking Fountain
Drinking enough is very important to ensure good health.
A great passion in health for cats. He creates his distinctive character with an informative and simple writing style.